Re: new archive section: non-free-firmware

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 19:05:39 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

> This all follows on the General Resolution a while ago.

Right. I looked at the page to which Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>
referred. https://www.debian.org/vote/2022/vote_003 Some of the
proposals explicitly required the installer to do so. However, I am not
familiar enough with Debian processes to determine which language was
approved, so I could not determine the answer to my question.

> If you are making a wholly new install, I suspect that the change
> will be made for you if the need for non-free firmware is detected
> AND the non-free firmware is installed as part of the building
> process AND you opt to keep the non-free firmware installed that the
> installer installed as part of the bootstrap process.

That sounds like a good way to go.

> Bearing in mind that the IRC channels #debian-boot and #debian-cd are
> both showing significant activity at the moment as you might expect.

Ah, then I shall await their decision.

> If you dist-upgrade from bullseye, I suspect it's down to you to check
> that the sources lines are correct which is not unusual.

As I would expect. I would hesitate to automate that, even for my few
machines. I will, however, make a note where I will find it when the
time comes.

> Very happy indeed to be proved wrong if we can automate more in due
> course :)

:-)

Thank you for that clarification.

--