Re: new archive section: non-free-firmware

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 11:47:21AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 18:09:27 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > To use the new section, edit sources.list like this:
> >
> > before:
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> >
> > after:
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> > non-free-firmware
>
> Will the Debian Installer make this change? And under what
> circumstances will it do so?

Hi Charles,

This all follows on the General Resolution a while ago. If you are making a
wholly new install, I suspect that the change will be made for you if the
need for non-free firmware is detected AND the non-free firmware is installed
as part of the building process AND you opt to keep the non-free firmware
installed that the installer installed as part of the bootstrap process.

Bearing in mind that the IRC channels #debian-boot and #debian-cd are
both showing significant activity at the moment as you might expect.

We may well need for an Alpha-2, a beta or an RC for Bookworm to be sure.

If you dist-upgrade from bullseye, I suspect it's down to you to check
that the sources lines are correct which is not unusual.

Very happy indeed to be proved wrong if we can automate more in due course :)

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater