Re: switch from IDE to AHCI causes not finding root FS

Le samedi 28 janvier 2023 à 03:15 -0500, Felix Miata a écrit :
> I thought only Windows was like that, but apparently not always. I
> keep my
> initramfs configuration set to =dep. I have an old multiboot Core2Duo
> on ICH8 that
> I found had been set to IDE instead of AHCI. I changed it to AHCI,
> which makes
> Grub load sooner, and probably Linux I/O more efficient. Fedora,
> openSUSE and
> Mageia are having no trouble booting this way. Looking at their lsmod
> output, it
> seems they must include whatever supports AHCI in the kernel, so I
> can't tell what
> module needs to be added to Debian and derivatives' initrds to enable
> them to boot
> again without switching the BIOS back to IDE.
>
> Anyone here know how I can determine what to add?

Hello,

I would think you only need to regenerate initramfs (after having
switched the UEFI/BIOS to AHCI instead of IDE) because last time it was
generated with the dep parameter, the PC was in IDE mode so AHCI was
not included.

if you want to explicitely specify modules for AHCI usage, I think the
name of the module is simply AHCI:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mkinitcpio/Minimal_initramfs