switch from IDE to AHCI causes not finding root FS

I thought only Windows was like that, but apparently not always. I keep my
initramfs configuration set to =dep. I have an old multiboot Core2Duo on ICH8 that
I found had been set to IDE instead of AHCI. I changed it to AHCI, which makes
Grub load sooner, and probably Linux I/O more efficient. Fedora, openSUSE and
Mageia are having no trouble booting this way. Looking at their lsmod output, it
seems they must include whatever supports AHCI in the kernel, so I can't tell what
module needs to be added to Debian and derivatives' initrds to enable them to boot
again without switching the BIOS back to IDE.

Anyone here know how I can determine what to add?
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata