Re: Firefox and/or mate-panel freeze and lock Xorg

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 at 01:30, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 23/01/2023 um 13:19 schrieb David:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 22:12, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Also maybe you could explicitly confirm which desktop
> > environment you are using, so we're not guessing.
>
> You cut the first line of my message. It is MATE.

Oops, so I did! It was:

> Debian Bullseye with latest Mate as DM.

Sorry for my error!

Does the timestamp on the final message in ~/.xsession-errors correlate
with the Firefox lockup?

Another thought: according to the GNOME project [1], ~/.xsession-errors
is deprecated and we should look in the systemd journal now [2].

That link [1] has instructions to inspect journalctl as user, but I
would probably
also look as root if I have that access on the machine.

These are just non-targetted ideas for troubleshooting, I hope someone
else has better suggestions to help you.

[1] https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/session-debug.html.en
[2] Although GNOME probably considers that X Windows is deprecated too, and
    we should use Wayland, or something, but I'm generally a late adopter of
    operating system changes so I don't know anything about that :)