Re: Firefox and/or mate-panel freeze and lock Xorg

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 22:12, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Every now and again, something happens whenever Firefox is loaded and
> the whole screen is locked. I can't open a terminal and I can't move
> between workplaces (ctrl + alt + left/right).
>
> Then I have to switch to a virtual terminal  (ctrl + alt + F2), check
> "top", but there is plenty of CPU and RAM available.
>
> Nothing weird in either dmesg, /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
> apart from:
>
>   (EE) event0  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: client bug: event
> processing lagging behind by 33ms, your system is too slow
>
> [BTW libinput is a pain in the a. on my Thinkpad T440)
>
> I do:
>
> $ killall mate-panel # nothing happens in graphical mode
> $ killall firefox # Then I restart FF but the freeze happens again
> # killall Xorg # Xorg restarts, I log in and restart FF, but the same
> freeze happens
> # reboot # That's the only thing that fixes it.
>
> Where do I go from here?

Hi, did you look in the ~/.xsession-errors file?
Also maybe you could explicitly confirm which desktop
environment you are using, so we're not guessing.
Perhaps try starting firefox from a terminal so you can see if it emits
any error messages when the crash happens.
Maybe there are dbus logs somewhere?
These are just basic suggestions, maybe others here will have
better ideas.
Aside: have you looked at 'htop', it has a much nicer user interface than 'top'.