Re: laptop frozen when opening apps, debian testing with gnome

On 1/23/23 11:59, Shalom Ben-Zvii Kazaz wrote:
since the latest full-upgrade three days ago on my laptop the computer gets completely frozen sometimes, yesterday got frozen few times when i tried to open zoom. today few times when i tried to open brave browser. completely frozen, need to shut down and restart. i'm running debian testing for three years on that laptop, dell xps 15, gnome desktop. what can i do,check? i'm not so experienced, usually there are no problems.

Three things I'd try (for diagnostic testing):

1 - log in as a different user; does that user have the same freezing issues?

2 - log into a different Desktop Environment (Plasma, Cinnamon, etc); does that DE have the same freezing issues?

3 - On boot, choose Advanced options; does that give you the ability to boot into the last kernel you had before the upgrade? If so, select it; does that option have the same freezing issues?

--
Kent West                    <")))><
IT Support::Client Support