Re: dell latitude 3510 - bios settings to boot debian netinst

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 9:51 PM Russell L. Harris <russell@rlharris.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 05:49:30PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> >On 1/19/23 19:43, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >>I have not figured out how to configure the BIOS of a Dell Latitude
> >>3510 to cause it to see and boot from a Debian netinst image (Debian
> >>11) written to USB flash (8Gbyte Patriot).
> >For newer computers with UEFI firmware and Secure Boot, I use the
> >"amd64" architecture version of the Debian Installer -- e.g.:
> >
> >    debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> 1) Does this work on an Intel Pentium machine?

The Latitude 3510 was released in 2020. I doubt it is a 32-bit
architecture, like early Pentiums.

> 2) So I turn on Secure Boot?

I recommend turning SecureBoot off.

  - UEFI
     * GPT = on
     * SecureBoot = off

And legacy modes, like BIOS legacy = off.

In SecureBoot, the only thing that is attested are the disk images.
There's no guarantees about the program once it is in-memory and
executing. What's being executed in-memory is the important thing.

The biggest accomplishment SecureBoot achieved under Windows 8 was
locking out other operating systems. And that did not last very long.

If you are having trouble turning off SecureBoot, then you may need to
add a BIOS/UEFI password. Once a password is present, the selections
to disable SecureBoot become available on some hardware, like Acer
laptops. Once you disable SecureBoot, you can remove the password so
you don't have to write it down.

Jeff