Re: dell latitude 3510 - bios settings to boot debian netinst

On 1/19/23 19:43, Russell L. Harris wrote:
I have not figured out how to configure the BIOS of a Dell Latitude
3510 to cause it to see and boot from a Debian netinst image (Debian
11) written to USB flash (8Gbyte Patriot).
RLH

On 1/20/23 07:34, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> # cp debian-11.6.0-i386-netinst.iso /dev/sdb
> # sync

For newer computers with UEFI firmware and Secure Boot, I use the "amd64" architecture version of the Debian Installer -- e.g.:

    debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

When I burn the above image to a USB flash drive manufactured by ADATA, insert the USB flash drive into a Dell Latitude 5400, power up, and press F12, the UEFI firmware displays a "UEFI BOOT" menu that includes:

    UEFI: ADATA USB Flash Drive 0.00

Selecting the above entry boots the Debian Installer.

On 1/19/23 21:23, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Boot Sequence
>
> [X] UEFI ST500LM034....
>
> (+) Add Boot Option

I used the above procedure to install Debian onto a second, zeroed USB flash drive, but the Dell UEFI firmware does not display an entry for it when I press the F12 key.

Instead, I must press the F2 key to enter SETUP and create a Boot Sequence entry:

    General
    -> Boot Sequence
      -> Boot List Option
        -> Add Boot Option

          Boot Option Name: Debian

File System List: PciRoot(0x0)/PCI(0x14,0x0)/USB(0x16,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,2B0AFBEF-CDF7-4744-8734-D0D1BA0817EE)
          File Name:        \EFI\debian\shimx86.efi

          -> OK

This adds a "Debian" entry to the Boot Sequence list. I move this entry to the top of the list via the up/ down arrows, choose "Exit", and the computer boots into my Debian installation.

David