Von: Cindy Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com>
Gesendet: Samstag, 31. Dezember 2022 17:22
An: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Betreff: Re: Topic: Problems with USB Sticks

On 12/30/22, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 21:16:31 +0000
> debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
>> >
>> > 1
>> > How can I repair USB stick which is readable but not writable?
>> >
>> > question 2
>> > What did I do wrong to create this problem?
>>
>> You didn't tell us what you actually did, and especially which bits
>> you think might be a mistake, so it's very difficult for us to answer
>> this question.
>>
>> For example, you might have hit them with a hammer, or connected them
>> to the wrong voltages, or washed them in a bath, or who knows what? Or
>> you might have plugged them in correctly but used some sequence of
>> commands that has caused a problem. But until you tell us what you
>> did, we can't know which bit was wrong!
>>

> I mentioned probably the simplest thing: failing to unmount before
> removal on a Windows machine. This sometimes causes problems which
> cause Linux to refuse to mount the device read/write. Windows can
> usually fix it, though I suppose there may be data loss. It's entirely
> possible that doing the same thing on Linux would sometimes cause
> similar problems.

Been there a couple times on a new secondhand hard drive this year.
Following tips regarding hiberfil.sys fixed it both times for me, but
the method comes with a harsh "this is your last ditch option" warning
about things like that data loss.

That's on a non-Linux system, by the way. Linux triggered the second
episode while while the affected partition was mounted only as a
resource for backing up images. It wasn't mounted as an operating
system.

There's a recovery partition that keeps getting mounted even though
I'm not touching it this week. I can't help wondering if that plays
some part in how that partition ended up locked down when it wasn't
used as the primary operating system..

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *