Re: Topic: Problems with USB Sticks

On Wed 11 Jan 2023 at 18:30:33 (+0000), Schwibinger Michael wrote:
> Hello Joe. Hello group.
> Thank you so much for your Emails.

This thread has been going nowhere for eight weeks now.

> How can I make an USB stick only readable but not writable?

Most sticks can't do this. Some SD cards (or their adapters)
can.

> How can I make an USB stick which is only readable again writable?

If you've tried advice already given, and failed, then you
probably can't.

1. Mount the stick and copy any information of value to somewhere
safe. You should already have done this in the course of normal backups.

2. If you need the information to be available on a stick,
and haven't got a spare one, buy a new one, and copy the
desired information onto it.

3. Destroy the old stick with a hammer to prevent any sensitive
information it contains falling into the wrong hands.

4. Dispose of the waste carefully, according to your jurisdiction.

5. Any stick can become partially or wholly unusable at any time,
so backups, backups, backups. (And perhaps buy several sticks.)

Cheers,
David.