Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

On 21/12/2022 13:27, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I can recommend the laptop as a reasonable candidate for Linux.  Apart from
the need for proprietary drivers, which is something I blame nVidia for, it
seems to work perfectly.

IME, getting the nVidia driver to work is easy, but keeping the nVidia
driver working over time across upgrades is a real PITA, and to the
extent that most other machines should also be fully supported, I read
what you wrote as "better choose something else" :-)

         Stefan

I have been using nVIDIA Optimus based systems for several years, with Ubuntu Linux and now with Linux Mint, without any problems, since, when I got a new laptop with nVIDIA Optimus, in 2013, the only non-MS operating systems that had drivers for the CPU; an i7 with the architecture having a name like Haskell, were dragonflyBSD, and Ubuntu (12.04), and, of those, only Ubuntu (12.04) had the drivers for NVIDIA Optimus, with dragonflyBSD having the attitude "Get f***d we are not here to provide a usable operating system , we are only here to amuse ourselves".

I subsequently switched most of my systems to Ubuntu MATE Linux, and then, when Ubuntu imposed malicious things like automated updates and the snap demon (and, it IS evil), both designed to sabotage users' systems and productivity, after I found out about version 21, I switched to Linux Mint Mate 21.

The problem is NOT with nVIDIA.

nVIDIA been working okay for me, with Linux, for about 9 years, now.

And, I am now running different computers, with different nVIDIA configurations - some with Optimus, some without Optimus, with no problems relating to nVIDIA.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia