Re: Dell Precision 3570 - Debian instead of Ubuntu

On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 18:12 +0100, B.M. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new laptop just arrived and I had a first look what the people
> did
> at Dell or Canonical:
>
> After switching it on the first time, I was asked to enter
> / configure
> WLAN, username, password, hostname, keyboard layout, time zone. It
> also
> let me create a recovery USB stick. After a reboot I now could just
> use
> it. But of course I had a look behind the scenes...:
>
> It came with Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS and Gnome 3.36.8 running on X11.
>
> The internal disk is formatted as
> - 891 MB EFI mounted at /boot/efi
> - 8.6 GB FAT not mounted, disks reports it as "Microsoft Reserved"
> - 503 GB Ext4 Root Partition
>
> The USB stick I used as recovery medium got formatted as
> - 4 GB 0x00 (Bootable) ISO 9660 mounted at
> /media/<username>/DellRecoveryMedia
> - 4.1 MB EFI FAT not mounted
> - and some GB free space
>
> After installing Synaptic I found out that there are some more
> Origins
> with installed packages as listed here:
> local/main (dell.archive.canonical.com):
>   oem-fix-misc-cnl-tlp-estar-conf, 5.0.3.4, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     This package carrys agressive policy to pass energy-star, and
> also
> some blacklist for problematic devices
>   oem-somerville-factory-meta, 20.04ubuntu9, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     It installs packages needed to support this hardware fully.
>   oem-somerville-factory-paras-35-meta, 20.04ubuntu3, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     It installs packages needed to support this hardware fully.
> (factory)
>   oem-somerville-meta, 20.04ubuntu9, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     This is a metapackage for Somerville platform. It installs
> packages
> needed to support this hardware fully.
>   oem-somerville-paras-35-meta, 20.04ubuntu3, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     This is a metapackage for Somerville Paras-35 platform. It
> installs
> packages needed to support this hardware fully.
>   oem-somerville-partner-archive-keyring, 20.04ubuntu2, maintainer
> commercial.engineering(at)canonical.com:
>     Somerville project keyring.
> local/universe (dell.archive.canonical.com):
>   tlp, 1.3.1-2, maintainer ubuntu-devel-discuss(at)lists.ubuntu.com:
>     Save battery power on laptops
>     (Description)
>   tlp-rdw, 1.3.1-2, maintainer ubuntu-devel-
> discuss(at)lists.ubuntu.com:
>     Radio device wizard
>     (Description)
> focal/universe (dell.archive.canonical.com):
>   tlp, 1.3.1-2, maintainer ubuntu-devel-discuss(at)lists.ubuntu.com:
>   tlp-rdw, 1.3.1-2, maintainer ubuntu-devel-
> discuss(at)lists.ubuntu.com:
> stable/main (dl.google.com):
> [...]

Hi again,

Looking a bit further, it seems that all these packages are not
containing more than 3 config files within /etc/tlp.d/
And the tlp and tlp-rdw packages itself. Does someone have an idea what
it means that these packages have higher version numbers in Debian
Testing but a different maintainer (see my last mail)? Going back in
the Debian changelog file there hasn't been a change in the maintainer,
i.e. I have to assume that the packages are not identical? Should/could
I compare their config files?

Thank you and have a nice day,
Bernd