Re: stopping mass surveillance

On 2022-12-15 at 19:34, operation.privacyenforcement@secure.mailbox.org
wrote:

> Dan Ritter wrote:
>
>> operation.privacyenforcement@mailbox.org wrote:

>>> Releasing anything of requested documents is not desired yet. The
>>> idea is not patented yet and will make the developers a high
>>> value target for a lot of agencies worldwide.
>>
>> If your project is going to be patented, it can't be part of Debian
>> unless you want to give a patent license to everyone in the world,
>> which defeats the point of patenting it in the first place.
>
> A patent can protect only a brand or product name.

The only thing I'm aware of that is called a "patent" and can be applied
to branding / etc. like that is a design patent, which is typically very
different and I don't see how it could be applied to software (though it
could potentially be applied to UI).

Trademarks, et cetera, might be applicable - but they are not patents.

>>> I am looking for people, developers, companies that would be
>>> interested in using or developing such a solution, planning a
>>> commercial high price launch on the market, licensed will be
>>> current revisions. Older revisions with less features or security
>>> will be released under an open source license. If this is
>>> impossible I am open minded to release the idea confidentially to
>>> a trustworthy developer group of an open source project to let
>>> them develop it and make it available as FLOSS completely for
>>> everyone. It needs to be built before privacy is dead, with or
>>> without earning money. It needs to be enforced before we will
>>> loose privacy forever.
>>
>>> Governments, police, politicians will be excluded via license in
>>> any case.
>>
>> None of the open source licenses that Debian will accept can be
>> limited in that way, so, again, Debian is not the home for your
>> project.
>
> This
>
>>> I am open minded to release the idea confidentially to a
>>> trustworthy developer group of an open source project to let them
>>> develop it and make it available as FLOSS completely for
>>> everyone. It needsto be built before privacy is dead, with or
>>> without earning money. It needsto be enforced before we will
>>> loose privacy forever.
>
> would match Debians policies?

That part could, but

>>> Governments, police, politicians will be excluded via license in
>>> any case.

definitely would not. Even a license statement that "This software shall
be used for Good, not Evil" is deemed to not be DFSG-free; a license
which explicitly excludes a category of user, or a field of endeavor,
would definitely not qualify.

--
   The Wanderer