Re: How to investigate sudden shutdown?

On Wed 14 Dec 2022 at 08:22:01 (+0100), Tobias Diekershoff wrote:

> perhaps someone of you can help me with tool / log file I have not investigated
> so far. I have a Thinkpad with Debian Bullseye on it, running KDE/Plasma as main
> desktop environment and from time to time it just turn off without prior
> indication to do so.

How old is the machine?
Spinning rust or SSD?
How have the battery and power handling been performing recently?
What type of connector is used for the AC power adapter?

> It it not particular warm before and journalctl / dmsg logs are looking
> unsuspicious around these sudden shutdowns for me.
>
> Any pointer what else could be investigated (and I do realize that these are
> very vague symptoms) would be appreciated!

Do shutdowns occur only on AC, or only on battery, or both?
Do the shutdowns coincide with moments of high load?
Do they occur when you adjust the angle of the screen?
Do they occur when the machine is mechanically undisturbed,
ie when it's sitting on a table?

By now you've probably surmised that my suspicions would fall
on the power handling. That's from my experience running laptops.

Cheers,
David.