Re: sleep on a low-usage NAS ?

> I need advice on what else I can do to keep the device with disks unspun for
> most of the day, yet still be available almost immediately when other
> clients on the LAN need some NAS services.

IIUC your disk spins down mostly as you want it, but it needlessly spins
up every once in a while and you'd like to avoid that?

If so, the way I do it usually is via /proc/sys/vm/block_dump.
If you set it to 1, then every disk access will be logged via syslog, so
you get to see why the disk spins up.

Of course, you'll want to make sure syslog doesn't go to disk first :-)
[ I used to use `busybox-syslogd` for that but AFAIK systemd's journal
  can also be configured to stay in RAM.  ]

        Stefan