sleep on a low-usage NAS ?

I have just converted a qnap TS-212 NAS from the vendor software to a stock Debian 10. (Armel)

I notice immediately that the NAS never spins down its disks when idle - as it used to with the vendor software.

The NAS is used maybe once per day to take backups via smb.

Ideally, I'd like it to go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, but wake more or less instantly when a new smb connection is initiated.

Less ideal would be to have some process that wakes it for specific time periods.

Checking the logs I see an hourly cron process is running, but not much else. I'm fine with installing a ramdisk for syslog if required.

I need advice on what else I can do to keep the device with disks unspun for most of the day, yet still be available almost immediately when other clients on the LAN need some NAS services.

--
Jeremy