Re: CR/LF

On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 11:46 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 11:48:36 -0500
> Jim Popovitch <jim@k4vqc.com> wrote:
>
> > Ahh, sorry for using a descriptive acronym that I have used for
> > decades to define an end-of-line. Whether it's in-fact a CR/LF, or
> > just a LF, doesn't really change the original question about the
> > addition of a end- of-line being inserted into the $TEST variable.
> > The fact that it affected someone so much is quite impressive.
>
> Actually, it does change the meaning — for someone who did not know
> that you meant it as a symbol, and took it as a literal. Precision
> helps in technical communications. Unfortunately, one cannot always
> correctly anticipate how others will take one's words.

I agree.  For my original question "Why does this produce a CR/LF", it
makes sense, to me, for the feedback to be "Tt doesn't produce a CR/LF
it only produces a LF".  Note: only 1 person got hung-up on the CR/LF vs
LF, everyone else knew exactly what I was looking for.
Fortunately/Unfortunately, Greg eventually saw this and did respond with
a well detailed and great answer (to use a temp file).

-Jim P.