Re: hangs at boot

On Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 01:57:44PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> You and I presumably run our systems with multi-user as the final
> target. I think the OP had graphical instead, but hadn't installed
> a DM.

I didn't change the default target.

unicorn:~$ systemctl get-default
graphical.target

In the absence of a DM package of any kind, it gives me a getty/login
prompt on tty1.  It's never failed yet, so I've never had to dive deeply
into how it actually works.

> That's how I interpret:
>
>  "After that I installed a bunch of packages that I usually do after
>   a fresh install, one of which was lightdm, and all of a sudden
>   everything works and the problem is gone."
>
> which implies they hadn't done this first time around.
>
> Somebody might test this on a DM/DE system by removing the DM.
> I imagine that tty1 will sit there waiting for the DM to appear.

I have no idea what would happen if one were to install a DM package,
reboot, and then remove it.  I'm not brave/curious/bored enough to
try it myself, either.

> Obviously I don't know how one would manage to get this with the d-i,
> but as the OP appears to have had UEFI/BIOS issues, that might mean
> that the d-i failed in a manner we haven't been told about.

Yeah.  And if the whole system has been wiped and reinstalled, I doubt
we'll ever learn the answer.