Re: hard disk and sub flash disk issues

On Thu 08 Dec 2022 at 16:38:55 (+0300), Semih Ozlem wrote:

> (i) I accidentally turned one of the partitions on the hard disk of the
> machine I currently have to linux swap. That partition contained files that
> I may need to review or use later. Is there a way to recove those files and
> if so how

As others have suggested, and after taking precautions against its
further use, copy an image of the partition with dd, at which point
I would run md5sum over both partition and image to check they're
identical, particularly important in view of the following.

> (ii) I installed debian and ubuntu on various usb flash disks of size 64 gb
> or 32 gb or even I think 16 gb not live systems but either full
> installations or some persistence. Some of them broke down meaning they
> wont boot or run a full system they may drop to busybox or simply refuse to
> start at all. Some of those filesystems are still viewable if I start the
> machine with a live system or persistence system. Can they be fixed if so
> how and is it worth the effort
>
> (iii) I have an external hard drive seagate that appears in lsusb command
> but the disk does not mount or appear under blkid or lsblk even with sudo.
> Can I recover that device external hard disk

Are you using the temporary i3 Casper machine for (ii) and (iii)?
If so, it may just be that your USB ports are mechanically unreliable.
That's my experience with consumer-grade laptops; I presume they make
their savings through cheap construction.

> (iv) I have another machine that was working with windows that no longer
> recognizes its usb ports or the hard drive. One of the ports copper wires I
> think got bent so I removed that usb port now the bios screen appears but
> windows wont boot and the hard disk does not get recognized by the bios
> this is a laptop i7 asus

Tearing down laptops (as opposed to desktops) is beyond my experience.

> the temporary machine I am running is i3 and is Casper

Cheers,
David.