Re: hard disk and sub flash disk issues

On 12/8/22 05:38, Semih Ozlem wrote:
Hi Everyone

Fist of all many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Here are the issues I am facing

(i) I accidentally turned one of the partitions on the hard disk of the
machine I currently have to linux swap. That partition contained files that
I may need to review or use later. Is there a way to recove those files and
if so how

I concur with another reader's suggestions to stop using that partition for swap, to comment out any fstab(5) entry for that partition, and to backup the partition by taking an image.

For imaging/ cloning, the KISS approach is dd(1). Clonezilla appears to add more capabilities, but I have not used it:

https://clonezilla.org/

Assuming the partition has an ext2/3/4 filesystem, I would STFW to see what recovery tools are available and how to use them.

(ii) I installed debian and ubuntu on various usb flash disks of size 64 gb
or 32 gb or even I think 16 gb not live systems but either full
installations or some persistence. Some of them broke down meaning they
wont boot or run a full system they may drop to busybox or simply refuse to
start at all. Some of those filesystems are still viewable if I start the
machine with a live system or persistence system. Can they be fixed if so
how and is it worth the effort

If there is data you want on the USB flash drives, I would insert them into a working Debian system, mount the file system(s) read-only, and copy out the data.

Broken OS instances can be fixed if you have the time and expertise.

I have found it is more practical to invest myself in backup and recovery skills and equipment (e.g. spare computers, spare disks, drive adapters, my own shell and Perl scripts, etc.). If you have neither, you can put the USB flash drives on the shelf for later, or wipe them now and start over with a fresh install.

(iii) I have an external hard drive seagate that appears in lsusb command
but the disk does not mount or appear under blkid or lsblk even with sudo.
Can I recover that device external hard disk

I suggest using Seagate SeaTools to diagnose the HDD:

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

(iv) I have another machine that was working with windows that no longer
recognizes its usb ports or the hard drive. One of the ports copper wires I
think got bent so I removed that usb port now the bios screen appears but
windows wont boot and the hard disk does not get recognized by the bios
this is a laptop i7 asus

What is the model/ part number of the Asus laptop? What options does it have? Please provide a URL to the Asus technical support page.

What is the make and model of the HDD?

How did you remove the USB port?

the temporary machine I am running is i3 and is Casper

Any help would be great. Thanks

David