Re: Getting PC with Ubuntu; change to Debian?

On 12/4/22, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello, fellow Debian users:
>
> I've had Debian on my computers for a very long time (can't remember
> exactly when but early 2000's for sure); and I've had Lenovo laptops for
> ages too. I finally need to replace my main laptop (an at least 10-year old
> ThinkPad), so I've bought an X1 from Lenovo, with Ubuntu pre-installed (to
> be delivered in January).
>
> So, a question. Should I side-grade to Debian (and, if so, how easy would
> it be to do that?)? Or will I be happy with Ubuntu (which is, after all, a
> Debian derivative)?

"happy" is a personal judgement, so I'll just go with mine - I like
Debian's philosophy & I don't like Ubuntu's

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-opt-out
  Since few (if any) users would choose to opt-in to share this sort
of data, Canonical is making participation in the scheme entirely
opt-out.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/01/ubuntu-search-amazon-privacy/
  ... users can choose not to search Amazon if they want, while future
releases will make it easier to opt-out of searching across third
party services

I'd rather opt-out of using anything from a company that does opt-out
data collection.
   ... and yeah.. I still use firefox, so that's clearly a preference
instead of a hard rule.

And there's been talk about a Canonical IPO for ages - eg
https://www.datamation.com/open-source/what-are-the-chances-for-an-ubuntu-ipo/
from 2015

and now
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/21/canonical-now-hopes-to-ipo-in-2023/

My assumption is that they're going to have to do more to generate
income and I'd rather read about how they've monetized their users
than find out first-hand.

Regards,
Lee