Re: Questions about installing Debian on a laptop

On 04.12.2022 18:52, Gabor Urban wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to install Debian on a laptop the first time.That will not be my first installing but I never used notebooks for that. I have found a lot of useful information but I would like to have some guidance at the start.

What are the most important issues selecting a laptop I should be mindful about?

Probably the most problematic point of a Linux laptop is a wireless connectivity, both WiFi and Bluetooth.
It's always better to check beforehand if wireless adapter that comes preinstalled is supported natively by Linux kernel [1], or would work with external drivers (kernel modules) supplied by device manufacturer.
Another thing to keep in mind, is to get a laptop with a MUX switch (AKA Advanced Optimus) to be able to select between CPU internal and discrete VGAs.
While classic Optimus technology could work out of the box, it is usually a headache to make it work, because hardware implementation is different for every laptop manufacturer.
So it is better to just select discrete VGA in BIOS as primary, and MUX switch allows you to do that.

If you already have the laptop handy you can test how it would work with Debian Live [2] before removing preinstalled OS.
It's better to choose from images with non-free firmware included to save yourself some time from extra troubleshooting while trying make things work.

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers
[2] https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.