Re: black screen in sid

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 20:02, Jeremy Hendricks <jwh1981@gmail.com> wrote:
In my experience, it’s of unheard of for Sid to break from time to time. I’d imagine updating in a day or a few might fix it.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 8:00 PM Michael Thompson <kneedragon1962@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Debian ~

Please forgive my neglecting to use the correct format for a bug report, but ~ let me explain.
I am a 60 year old home Linux tinkerer, a Linux geek. I run Mint + Mate as my host and virtualbox, with a dozen guests. One guest is Debian sid.
I just ran sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade and got a black screen.
I tried booting into fallback / recovery, and I got told the X-server had not started.
Tried the old kernel, same deal.
Small frustration ~ re-install.
Chose the aarnet.edu.au mirror (I am in Brisbane) and booted, login as root, adduser mike sudo.
Edit sources. Change the two lines that mention bullseye to read sid - delete everything else.
Reboot.
Black screen.
Try the fallback - black screen.
Try the recovery, ask for startx - same msg.
I THINK your problem lays with the latest revision of the Xserver.
If you would like a screenshot of the output in the tty when X wouldn't start, I have a screenshot I can send you. Reply to this email.
I hope you find this helpful. Mike

I run SID as standard.
I usually update daily with aptitude which overlays apt.
I have no problems.
Unless I was doing  an upgrade from testing to Sid, I wouldn't use `full-upgrade' on the cli, but `safe-upgrade'.
HTH.
Cheers!