Re: /boot size and kernel updates

Hi Stefan!

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I use `MODULES=dep` and my kernel+initrd uses less than 20MB still so my
> 250MB /boot partition is currently 21% full with 2 kernels installed.

Ah, thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try, as well as trying more
aggressive compression (thanks, Peter!).

> This said, my newer installs just don't bother with a separate
> /boot partition.

My understanding is that for LUKS-encrypted disks, /boot needs to be
separate so that it can remain unencrypted.

> PS: FWIW, my first HDD had a capacity of 50MB.  I didn't consider it "large"
> but it was quite sufficient for the system I used back then (MiNT).
> The 500MB disk in the Alpha workstations in my university's lab seemed
> quite large (all the home directories were on an NFS server, so most of
> the 500MB lay unused since the OS itself used a lot less than that,
> even that included a full X11 environment, Emacs, etc...).
> I suspect your experience is not very different, right?

I suppose so.  The first computer hardware that I purchased for myself
was a 1GB drive to supplement the storage on the sun4c system that my
employer let me take home.  I didn't need something that big, but it was
cheap enough, and I liked not having to think much about how much
storage I had available.  My current desktop has a 1TB drive and is
about half full, with most of the occupied storage consisting of
VirtualBox virtual disks and snapshots.

mike