Re: /boot size and kernel updates

Hi Mike,

> I've had the problem with /boot being too small on 2 systems.  I tried
> reinstalling one of them so that I could get a larger /boot.  And the
> installer did make /boot larger, but not as much as I wanted.  IIRC, it
> went from 250M to 500M, whereas I wanted to give it at least 1 GB.  I
> tried adjusting the sizes with the installer's partition manager, but I
> got stuck.  Unfortunately, I don't have adequate notes about how I got
> stuck.  I'm suspecting it had something to do with the fact that I had
> asked for a LUKS-encrypted disk.

I use `MODULES=dep` and my kernel+initrd uses less than 20MB still so my
250MB /boot partition is currently 21% full with 2 kernels installed.

This said, my newer installs just don't bother with a separate
/boot partition.

        Stefan

PS: FWIW, my first HDD had a capacity of 50MB.  I didn't consider it "large"
but it was quite sufficient for the system I used back then (MiNT).
The 500MB disk in the Alpha workstations in my university's lab seemed
quite large (all the home directories were on an NFS server, so most of
the 500MB lay unused since the OS itself used a lot less than that,
even that included a full X11 environment, Emacs, etc...).
I suspect your experience is not very different, right?