Re: Sysstemd question

On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 11:04:39 -0500
Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 10:41:15AM -0500, paulf@quillandmouse.com
> wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > I've been reading up on systemd, both from Red Hat's documentation,
> > Debian's and the man files. One thing I haven't been able to
> > explain is why systemd has config files in /etc, /lib, /run, and
> > /usr/lib.
>
> /lib and /usr/lib are the same thing, or will be the same thing in a
> future release.  Don't worry about that.
>
> /run is transient.  It's an in-memory file system, created and
> populated at boot time, or by running programs.  It's not a place for
> configuration.
>
> So really you're looking at /etc vs. /usr/lib.
>
> /usr/lib contains the defaults created by the Debian maintainers or
> the upstream authors.  When you install a new package that has a
> systemd unit file, that's where it'll go.
>
> /etc contains the overrides and configuration elements that are unique
> to your system.  If a service is masked or disabled, it'll be done
> here. If you install a locally built service, and write a systemd
> unit for it, this is where you'll put it.  If you override part or
> all of a package's unit file, you do it here.

Thanks for this excellent explanation. I wish the folks who write docs
would try to explain things in English instead of geek-ese. I'm a
programmer, and I try to keep this in mind whenever I write docs. That
said, though, the Red Hat docs for systemd are pretty good.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com