Sysstemd question

Folks:

I've been reading up on systemd, both from Red Hat's documentation,
Debian's and the man files. One thing I haven't been able to explain is
why systemd has config files in /etc, /lib, /run, and /usr/lib.
I also can't find in what order systemd scans these directories. Also,
why it's necessary for there to be symlinks in /etc/systemd/system to
files in /lib/systemd/system. These questions may be a bit too esoteric,
but if anyone could explain, or point me to documentation, I'd
appreciate it.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster