Re: support for ancient peripherals

Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) composed on 2022-11-05 23:21 (UTC):

> As you might understand, I'd like to replace my desktop, a 2006 Pentium 4
> with a 3-GHz processor.  It has always run Debian, and so will the new one.

> My concern is about support for three ancient peripherals that I like better
> than the modern equivalents:
> 1. A Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard (from 2006) with a 5-pin DIN cable,
> currently going via an adapter to a PS/2 port in the desktop;
> 2. A Logitech M-MD15L three-button roller-ball serial mouse (from 2006); and
> 3. An HP LaserJet 5MP printer from 1995 with a parallel-port connector.

> Are desktops still available with PS/2, serial, or parallel ports?  If not,
> can these all be adapted to USB?  Are USB-A ports still common, or is USB-C
> taking over?  My question is of course not just about hardware but about
> software support for these devices in Debian.  They all work now in Buster
> (oldstable).  Thanks.

I wish my OmniKey didn't drop dead over a decade ago. Yet, I'm still using
keyboards with DIN-5 connectors and PS/2 adapters on nearly every boot of any of
my 40+ PCs. Intel tried to eliminate PS/2 support a decade ago, but the accessory
chip makers took it over, and most PC motherboards still provide them.

Serial and parallel went the other way. By far most recent motherboards have
neither on the back pane, but many still do have support via plugs on motherboards
that can be used to add-on serial and/or parallel ports. For those that don't it
usually doesn't matter, as PCIe expansion cards with those ports are available.

As to using them, I haven't tried a serial mouse in over a year, and a parallel
printer in over a decade. All my printers connect via ethernet or wireless.
Parallel ports probably don't get much testing by developers any more, but
probably don't need much, if any. Kernel devs OTOH seem to need serial now and
then for data capture. Likely they're mostly using USB adapters by now.

USB-A ports sometimes are reduced to two on the backpanes, but usually there are
plenty USB3 ports that can handle USB1 or 2 if you need more than 2 in back. OTOH,
quite some don't bother providing USB-C.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata