Re: Choosing neovim over vim as default

Hello!

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 20:30:51 +0530
Bharatvaj P H <bharatvaj.ph@zohocorp.com> wrote:

>vimscript9
> feels like a bad decision, it is incompatible with vimscript2 and
> does not match performance with lua.

Probably not many scripting languages do. But then I'm not sure
performance is the be-all and end-all when it comes to editor plugins.
Certainly not for the Vim folks and even though speed was one the
grounds for the change, as far as I'm aware it's not the most important.

>Until vim9 I thought vim as a slimmer version of neovim but
>it's the opposite.

I've never heard this before. The whole point of Neovim was getting rid
of what those folks identify or consider as "legacy" baggage. It is
slimmer, hence maybe faster. That's good for Neovim, but not crucial
for all of us.

>Currently there is confusion among developers when
>writing a plugin whether to choose vimscript9 or lua. And the only
>point vimscript9 has is tha it is available in all distros. Is it time
>to switch over to neovim? Choosing lua over vimscript9 reduces the
>cognitive load of many people.

I'm not to answer, just a user, though I would strongly oppose it. We
also ship I believe quite a few emacs forks, clones or variations, I
guess no one is ever seriously about to consider changing the default.
Vim is Vim. Neovim is Neovim. Anyone is free to use whatever they
prefer, and that's surely more people than those who write their own
plugins, or need to adapt one, they may still care about what editor
they use. Once they have to, chances are they're going to learn a new
language anyway, because Lua isn't exactly popular.

Oliver