Re: loss of mbmon function

On 11/4/22 22:57, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/2/22 21:23, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/2/22 21:01, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/2/22 12:07, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/2/22 08:19, gene heskett wrote:

All 5 of the samsung SDD's in THIS machine have now been -test=long'd, all 5 report with the -a option that the read test failed as seen below, but a -H says they are healthy.

Whats next?

I have found that smartctl(8) version 7.2 has trouble decoding some of the statistics for my Intel SSD 520 Series drives (Debian Stable), while smartctl(8) version 7.3 does a better job (FreeBSD-12.3-RELEASE-amd64). So, perhaps you are seeing bad information from smartctl(8) version 7.2.

Debian backports does not seem to offer smartmontools 7.3.

Debian Testing and Unstable have smartmontools 7.3.

Alternatively, Samsung does make software tools for their storage products.  Unfortunately, I believe the tools are Windows applications; so, they require a Windows installation.

Have you tried smartmontools 7.3 and/or Samsung tools?

smartmontools is A: not found, but synaptic says 7.2-1. And B: no, synaptic won't let me fiddle with that.

AIUI you have a HBA/RAID card in that computer.  I suspect that you also have USB devices and/or other connected hardware.  What happens if you disconnect everything?  If the problem goes away, do a search and find the problem hardware.

Not a raid card, just another $20 6 port sata card, its software raid. There is no drive activity of any kind when it hangs. The only indication of life at all is a row of color changing leds on the front edge of the mobo are cycling the colors, possibly a little slower that they are right now.

I assume you understand that expansion cards can have extension firmware that runs during POST, which can delay or halt POST (?). Similarly, the motherboard firmware goes through a USB enumeration process during POST and connected USB devices must have compatible firmware; issues can cause delays and/or halt POST (?).

Does the boot process change when you disconnect all of the drives? When your remove the card?  If so, use a process of elimination to find the problem item(s).

I've considered that disconnect as my usb tree looks like a 50 yo weeping willow. Everything but the keyboard and mouse buttons can be disconnected by about 6 usb cables. Getting these 88 yo knees down on the floor to see about plugging them back in is a
bit of a chore so they don't get disconnected very often.

That is why they invented knee pads and/or (great?) (grand?) children.

Does the boot process change when you disconnect all USB devices and connect the keyboard directly to the motherboard?  Different ports? Different keyboards?  If boot changes, use a process of elimination to identify the problem keyboard(s), port(s), and/or USB devices(s).

This is the main computer of a 7 machine home network that by the time they are done arguing about who won next Teusday's election, might have 4 more bannana pi's to connect to.

I'd like to have bought rpi4b's w/8G's but their scarcity has ran the price above $300. Much newer bananna pi's BPI-M5's with 4G are $90. And have faster usb as all 4 ports are usb3.1.

Do like I did with the rpi4b running my biggest cnc lathe, and move all the high traffic stuff to a $30 SSD and get uptimes in years. I have an automatic 20kw standby and the pi has a small ups. That made the pi into a workstation, building its own real-time kernel AND linuxcnc from a git pull if
the buildbot at linuxcnc.org gets a tummy ache.

All the more reason to figure out why the server is misbehaving and fix it.

David

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)