Re: Boxed Distributions

Hi,

Bret Busby wrote:
> Are Blu-ray drives available for computers?

Sure.

My oldest one is a LG BD-RE GGW-H20L of 2008.
My youngest is a ASUS BW-16D1HT which i bought recently after my
Optiarc BD-5300S died mechanically.

> I do not know of the storage capacity for a Blu-ray disc,

Single layer 25 GB, double layer 50 GB, triple layer 100 GB,
four layer 128 GB.
BD-R are write-once media. BD-RE are overwritable many times.
Single layer media offer by far the best price/capacity ratio.
(Cheaper than USB stick but more expensive than rotating hard disk.)

> Given that USB thumb drives have been available, of up to 256GB capacity (I
> have a few of them), I expect that iso files (or, iso file collections, if
> needed, such as the whole set of 40 DVD images) for USB thumb drives, would
> be available.

There is a 16 GB ISO named STICK16GB-1
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-16G/

The problem with multiple ISOs is that Debian expects them on as many
different optical media and will prompt you to put them into the drive
when needed.
I am not aware that this would work out of the box with multiple USB sticks.

Easier to use is a merged ISO which was made from some or all ISOs of
a set of installation media.

(Actually there are 19 DVDs on
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-dvd/
while "current" is 11.5.)

> If my memory is correct, back at about Debian 3.0 or 3.1, Debian was
> available on something like 3 DVD's or 8 CD's, although, with advancing
> years, my memory of that, may be a bit fuzzy.

Who needs wet memory when there is the cdimage archive ?
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/
For the only CD sized images:
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/3.0_r0/i386/
and of them there were seven:
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/3.0_r0/i386/jigdo-cd/
But at 3.0_r3 there was also a single DVD:
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/3.0_r6/i386/iso-dvd/

Have a nice day :)

Thomas