Re: Boxed Distributions

On 2/11/22 01:40, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Bret Busby wrote:
Someone did say that the full distribution comprises of many disks, so,
maybe it needs four boxes?

The four jewel case edition is here:
   https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-bd/
for 25 GB Blu-ray discs.

Are Blu-ray drives available for computers?

I have not yet seen a computer with an internal Blu-ray drive.

My understanding is that the significant difference between a Blu-ray disc and a DVD, is that DVD discs are limited to 720p ("HD")resolution for video, and Blu-ray provides 1080p ("FHD") resolution for video.

I do not know of the storage capacity for a Blu-ray disc, but, I imagine that it would need to be far greater than a DVD (up to 4.5GB, I believe), due to the difference in available resolution for video.

Given that USB thumb drives have been available, of up to 256GB capacity (I have a few of them), I expect that iso files (or, iso file collections, if needed, such as the whole set of 40 DVD images) for USB thumb drives, would be available.

If my memory is correct, back at about Debian 3.0 or 3.1, Debian was available on something like 3 DVD's or 8 CD's, although, with advancing years, my memory of that, may be a bit fuzzy.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia