Re: Failure in fuse3 hook prevents initramfs update

didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> writes:

> Le 27/10/2022 à 00:52, Joe Pfeiffer a écrit :
>> I'm trying to do an update to my Debian 11 system, and keep getting the
>> following failure:
>> E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fuse failed with return 1.
>> Trying to get a little more information, I ran
>> update-initramfs -u -v -k all
>> and after many lines of output, got:
>> Adding binary /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libe2p.so.2.3
>> Calling hook fuse
>> Adding binary /sbin/mount.fuse3
>> E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fuse failed with return 1.
>> I reported this as a bug against fuse3 last Saturday, but to date
>> haven't heard anything from the maintainer.
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022252
>> So...  any ideas what's going on?  And more importantly what can I
>> do
>> about it?
>>

> Hello,
>
> I do not know well initramfs but initramfs-tools(7) manpage states:
> [...]
> KERNEL HOOKS
> initramfs-tools  includes  hook scripts that are called by kernel
> packages on installation and removal, so that an initramfs is
> automatically created,  updated or deleted as necessary.  The hook
> scripts do nothing if the environment variable INITRD is set to No.
> This will be the case for   kernel   packages   built   with   make
> deb-pkg  and  with  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD not set in the kernel
> config, or  built  with  make-kpkg and not using the --initrd option.
> [...]

That seems pretty specific to kernel packages.  Though that man page
points me to a command called lsinitramfs, which lets me see the
contents of an initrd; the two I currently have out there both have
/usr/sbin/mount.fuse3, but no /sbin at all.  Tried editing the fuse hook
to put the command in /usr/sbin, but no joy.

> So I suppose that for whatever reason, fuse3 package has been
> uninstalled but the fuse3 hook has not been removed.
>
> Depending on what you want (fuse3 installed or not), I would suggest
> either cleanly purge or reinstall fuse3 package.

I have to have it, as other packages depend on it.  Tried reinstalling,
still no joy.  I've also tried both upgrading and downgroading fuse3 and
initramfs-tools, still with no success.

I can't see how the copy_exec for fuse is any different than the ones
for other filesystems...  thinking just in case, I also took a look at
the next command in the script, which is

manual_add_modules fuse

in case that's what's actually failing; it doesn't look any different
from any of the other manual_add_modules commands in the directory.