Failure in fuse3 hook prevents initramfs update

I'm trying to do an update to my Debian 11 system, and keep getting the
following failure:

E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fuse failed with return 1.

Trying to get a little more information, I ran

update-initramfs -u -v -k all

and after many lines of output, got:

Adding binary /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libe2p.so.2.3
Calling hook fuse
Adding binary /sbin/mount.fuse3
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fuse failed with return 1.

I reported this as a bug against fuse3 last Saturday, but to date
haven't heard anything from the maintainer.

So...  any ideas what's going on?  And more importantly what can I do
about it?