Re: is Ansible easy to use?

On 10/20/22 15:39, Philipp Ewald wrote:
Hi folks,

is ansible a easy way to configure customized hosts?

Ansible is not  easy to master but worth the time if you have lots of nodes!

If you need to copy a file to multiple servers and have a custom config
per node the 'template' module is your friend.

First try, its super complicated for me.

Trying to create multiple files with content. It takes more time to
create the playbook then creating this file by hand (this damn syntax

To validate that syntax I use 'ansible-lint <PLAYBOOK>'
'ansible-playbook --syntax-check <PLAYBOOK' and 'ansible-playbook
--check <PLAYBOOK>'.

acomplicates everything more)
Then formatting is destroyed or need more time on creating the playbook...

See the indent capability of the template module.

It is so hard or im so bad?

When you start at something, everything is hard (the Ansible mailing
list is friendly)!

The main reason to use Ansible, Puppet, Terraform is when your current
solution becomes unmanagable!

Granted, the above three tools are not realy doing the same thing!

--
John Doe