Re: Whom to send bugreport?

On Thu, 2022-10-20 at 08:55 +0100, Tixy wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-10-20 at 09:15 +0200, Hans wrote:
> > After upgrading to a newer version of the kernel and of course newer kernel-
> > headers, the build is failing now with a crash.
>
> Usually 'crashing' is caused by bugs in the programs doing the
> crashing, so which program is crashing when building the module, the
> compiler?
>
> Or do you mean compilation of the module fails, in which case there
> will be error messages from compiler, or other tools, indicating what
> the error is with the source code being compiled. In this case, some
> kernel changes that your third-party module may need modifying to
> support.

I should add, I used to have to work with an out-of-tree third-party
module and that was full of #if statements that tested the version of
the kernel being compiled, then used lots of conditional code to cope
with differences between those kernel versions. This would break quite
regularly when a change from a newer kernel was backported to an older
kernel. Not all of those changes would be compilation errors, some
would be runtime errors due to some kernel API or semantics changing.

So, if you aren't getting a compiler crash, and it's a compiler error,
or kernel crash when the module is loaded, then you should contact the
supplier of the module for help.

--
Tixy