Re: How to can make a partition in my hard disk ?

On Thu 20 Oct 2022 at 07:58:54 (+0800), Bret Busby wrote:
> On 20/10/22 06:57, William Torrez Corea wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 4:32 PM Bret Busby wrote:
> > On 20/10/22 06:19, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > How much RAM does the computer have?
> > >
> > > I would be inclined to use gparted to resize the partitions; you
> >only
> > > need, at most, 32GB for /  and you should have a separate /home
> > > partition, and, you should have (I believe) a 32GB swap partition.
> > >
> > > Is the HDD, MBR or GPT?
> >
> >What do you get, if you run
> >du -h /home
> >?
> >

> > 39G /home
> > 7.7 GiB memory
> >
> > What command gives this information (HDD, MBR or GPT)?
>
> See https://explorelinux.com/check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-in-linux/
> also
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/387351/how-can-i-detect-whether-my-disk-is-using-gpt-or-mbr-from-a-terminal

I wondered why they needed root access, or even installing new
software, just to see if a disk was MBR or GPT. I just:

  $ udevadm info /dev/sda | grep PART_TABLE_TYPE
  E: ID_PART_TABLE_TYPE=gpt
  $

(The alternative is E: ID_PART_TABLE_TYPE=dos.)

> (from the second one, so that you can understand a difference between
> the two;)
> "
>     If you use an MS-DOS partition table (or MBR), you can only have
> up to four primary/extended partitions.
             ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
                  3/1 or 4/0.

>     If you use a GUID partition table (GPT) with default settings, you
> can have up to 128 partitions. (all primary partitions)
> "

When I used MBR disks, I found four partitions quite adequate for
two root filesystems (versions stable and either of stable±1),
swap and /home (eventually encrypted). With GPT, I include a 3MB
BIOS Boot, giving improved alignment whether needed or not, and
a 500MB ESP, which can be used as swap if not required.

BTW partition alignment is one thing I'd check for general slowness,
and it's obviously worth checking   systemd-analyze blame   on a
system that is sluggish to boot.

Back in March last year, you (OP) reported a very similar problem
(which happened to grow into a very large thread). Did you work out
what that problem was?

On Thu 20 Oct 2022 at 08:15:26 (+0800), Bret Busby wrote:

> As you have only 8GB RAM (which, I believe, is not enough RAM,
> nowadays, and, I believe that an i7CPU should have at least 32GB RAM),
> I believe that you need a swap partition of 32GB.

My i7 laptop only has 16GB memory, and I don't give it any swap
(I'm generous with overprovisioning). My two desktops (14GB and 8GB)
both have ½GB, which they never touch.

> a 64GB partition for /home, and, split
> the remaining free space, into partitions, named dataxx (where xx is
> the numbers from one to n), and, if you have a GPT hard drive, for
> each data partition to be 64GB, or, if you have an MBR hard drive, for
> the data partitions to be logical partitions (from memory, on an MBR
> drive, you are allowed four primary partitions, and, any additional
> partitions, have to be logical partitions, and, a limit applies to the
> number of logical partitions allowed.

> I can explain this, later, if needed, but, this is the path of what I
> am suggesting, to make the best use of your resources.

Yes, do. I wouldn't be able to keep track of what was where with a
scheme like that.

Cheers,
David.