Re: Cheap NAS

Am 16.10.22 um 20:19 schrieb paulf@quillandmouse.com:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 10:11:50 -0400
Wayne Sallee <Wayne@WayneSallee.com> wrote:

What about just putting some drives in a desktop, and installing some
free nas software like https://linuxhint.com/best-nas-software-linux

It's possible, but it sort of violates the size and power requirements
in my scenario.

Paul

What's about to use a (old) ThinClient with space for 1 or 2 2,5" drives?

I use a old FSC Futro 920 as router and LAN storage server with soft raid.

My setup:

- FSC Futro 920 (with AMD GX-222GC 2x2,2Ghz)
- mSATA to SATA adapter (ASM1062) to get more SATA ports
- 4 Port NIC (not need for your setup I think)
- The drives are stacked with https://www.ryang3d.com/shop/ssd-stackers/

power consumption is round about 15-20 W more than a Raspberry or similar hardware but not more than a (in Germany very popular) fritzbox.