Re: Strange syslog behaviour [Solved]

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 10:13:05AM -0400, Wayne Sallee wrote:
> [...]

Files with extensions *.dpkg-old and *.dpkg-dist are created when a
package is updated, and its configuration file has been modified.  The
current (modified) configuration file is left alone, and the files that
*would* have been installed by the package are placed with these
extensions.

Such files *should not* be operational.  Programs are supposed to ignore
them.

In logrotate(8) there is this paragraph:

       tabooext [+] list
              The current taboo extension list is changed (see the include di‐
              rective for information on the taboo extensions).  If a  +  pre‐
              cedes  the  list of extensions, the current taboo extension list
              is augmented, otherwise it is replaced.  At startup,  the  taboo
              extension  list  ,v,  .cfsaved, .disabled, .dpkg-bak, .dpkg-del,
              .dpkg-dist, .dpkg-new, .dpkg-old, .rhn-cfg-tmp-*, .rpmnew,  .rp‐
              morig, .rpmsave, .swp, .ucf-dist, .ucf-new, .ucf-old, ~

So, unless your /etc/logrotate.conf has been changed, or your logrotate
is not the one provided by Debian, the *.dpkg-old and *.dpkg-dist files
should do nothing.  They should be ignored.

> > I have systems (armbian) that had anomalous behaviour.

If you're *not on Debian* then we can't tell you what to do.  Ask your
operating system support people.