Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> You are right. It works without using the APPEND option

Yeah. Once again guessed right. :))

> I don't know if it's correct to use something like this in the
ISOLINUX/menu.cfg file :
> LABEL Custom Graphical Debian Installer
>   SAY "Booting Custom Graphical Debian Installer..."
>   linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz
>   APPEND boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg auto=true initrd=/d-i/gtk/initrd.gz append video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788

(I think there is again a surplus "append" in the "APPEND" line.)

Let's read
  https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Config

  "APPEND options...
   Add one or more options to the kernel command line. These are added
   to both, automatic and manual boots. The options are added at the
   very beginning of the kernel command line, usually permitting
   explicitly-entered kernel options to override them. This is the
   equivalent of the LILO "append" option.
   LINUX image
   Load image as a Linux-like kernel. MEMDISK is an example of a non-Linux
   kernel loaded in a Linux-like fashion."

So with ISOLINUX, one has to add the kernel arguments by APPEND and the
initrd by kernel argument "initrd=".
With GRUB2 one adds the kernel arguments to the "linux" command line but
the initrd is specified by a separate "initrd" command.
(Further there are still Legacy GRUB configuration examples around
 in files named "menu.lst".)

> Otherwise,is something like this ok ?
> linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg auto=true initrd=/d-i/gtk/initrd.gz append video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788

Only if i ignore the surplus "append". :))

Then i stumble over "boot=casper".
The text
  https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
does not list a "boot=" option.
It might be that some software in the Live ISO looks into something like
the pseudo-file
  /proc/cmdline
and acts if it finds "boot=casper" in the content of line "BOOT_IMAGE=".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas