running outdated software (was: crash with wine and nvidia-driver)

Am 13.10.2022 um 18:43 schrieb Hans:
> Hi folks,
>
> maybe someone got into the same problem as me and can help.

Well, i cannot help. Sorry

But i am very used to running outdated software, as i am living the old
recipe to "never change a working system". The only thing, that i am
doing is to separate different configurations into virtual machines,
where i still am able to run Windows XP (as an example). Intentionally i
am accepting to fall back in time, if the alternatove is to deal with
buggy software or combinations thereof.

Only recently, i discovered, that one of my long-living problems that
had me stay with a 6 year old software combination is no longer present
in a more recent software stack. In order to find out such changes, i
HAVE TO check the functionality of more recent releases from time to
time, which - in order to ensure proper isolation from my main system -
requires a second bootable copy of the main OS.

Long story short: I suggest you create alternatives in order to check
more recent software. Because not only your situation tennds to evolve
into a more and more unique corner case, but also you lose touch to the
cutting edge of developers, who would not be interested to fix past
problems, as there is practically no merit in doing so.

Another example of mine: I did stay with firefox-esr from 2 years ago,
in order of being able to use plugins, that had not yet been transformed
to the new mozilla doctrine. But after some time, i found another
combination of plugins fulfilling my needs just as well as the old ones
did, so i decided to jump to a more recent version of the fox. It is not
such a bright idea to be stubborn and sticking to the older versions,
among ther reasons: because i would have turned onto the only one
(world-wide) using that specific software stack, thus having a unique
fingerprint and killing anonymity...

I suggest not clinging to your specific software combo too frenetically.

But i am sharing your sort of trouble more or less regularly and thus
feel with you.

best of luck, DdB

> As I am not believing, this is related to the game (as ALL games are
> crashing), I believe, it is related to a systematical error in the
> relationship between wine and nvidia-driver.

My own experiences with wine were not all that pleasant. Nowadays, i try
to avoid it as best as i can, nuked all the places, where i had
integrated it into my regular system usage.