Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> Does it make sense to insert the preseed file inside this file ? ---->
> /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/Debian-new/custom-root/boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64
?
> What's the difference between initrd and initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64 ?

Interesting question. (You see ? New adventures.)

There are five files with names matching '*initrd*'. Two of them are udeb
packages. So there remain
  d-i/gtk/initrd.gz
  d-i/initrd.gz
  live/initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64
Listing their content shows that the "d-i/gtk" initrd is mostly a superset
of the "d-i" initrd. Only "screen" is in "d-i" but not in "d-i/gtk".

  gunzip </mnt/iso/d-i/gtk/initrd.gz | cpio -t | sort >d_i_gtk
  gunzip </mnt/iso/d-i/initrd.gz | cpio -t | sort >d_i
  diff -puN d_i d_i_gtk

A comparison between "d-i/gtk" and "live" shows that "live" seems to
provide much more files in /usr/bin. Further the kernel modules directory
names differ:
  -lib/modules/5.10.0-18-amd64
  +usr/lib/modules/5.10.0-18-amd64

I'd put the preseed.cfg file into each of the three cpio archives.
If it works, then you can replace two of them by the originals and try
whether one alone does the trick for you.

> Instructions says :
> Regenerating md5sum.txt
> cd isofiles chmod +w md5sum.txt

I don't find it in the Live ISO. I know it from the adventure to merge
all debian-cd installation DVD ISOs into one big ISO for a USB stick.
You'll find an example in the root directory of the netinst ISO.

It contains lines with the MD5 checksums and paths of files inside the ISO.
Afaik it is used for an optional verification run. Zhang Boyang wrote in
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011343#170
  "A bad md5sum.txt will cause cdrom-checker in d-i to fail. (Fortunately
   it's not a standard step, but user can invoke it under `Advance options
   - Expert install')"

Since it is missing in the Live ISO, you most probably won't need it.
(And i bet that there is no such advanced option in Live ISO.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas