Re: Some applications don't follow default browser settings

Tianyu Chen writes:

> I'm using Google Chrome (/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome) as my default
> browser, which is set by `update-alternatives` command. However my
> firefox-esr is always launching when links are opened in Telegram and
> Mozilla Thunderbird.
>
> I'd like to know why firefox-esr is launching, and how can i switch to
> Chrome? I'm not gonna removing my Firefox :(

Setting the default programs is kind of a mess, and there are two
methods, which must agree, else conflicts occur:

    update-alternatives --set gnome-www-browser /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable
    update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable
    xdg-settings set default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop
    xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler mailto thunderbird.desktop

The names of your programs may be different, be sure to check the executable
names for google-chrome and thunderbird.

Also, if you are using XFCE:

    Applications->Settings->Default Applications

has to agree with the above settings, too.

    John

--

John Conover, conover@panix.com, http://www.johncon.com/