Re: Some applications don't follow default browser settings

On 04/10/2022 11:07, Tianyu Chen wrote:

I'm using Google Chrome (/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome) as my default browser, which is set by `update-alternatives` command. However my firefox-esr is always launching when links are opened in Telegram and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Almost certainly Thunderbird ignores alternatives, mailcap and queries XDG settings from mimeapps.list, mimeinfo.cache files

     $ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
     google-chrome.desktop

xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http
xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https

or
xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler http
that likely invokes xdg-mime

     $ cat ~/.config/mimeapps.list
     [Default Applications]
     x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-ZS5OS1.desktop
     text/html=google-chrome.desktop

My guess is that when applications are going to open a link, MIME type is not known yet, so scheme handler is queried. Likely you miss the following associations in the [Default Applications] section:

x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/https=google-chrome.desktop;

Do not forget to run update-desktop-database with a proper directory as its argument.