Re: usrmerge

Op 02-10-2022 om 21:29 schreef billium:
/usr/bin /usr/lib* & /usr/sbin are directories

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu & /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu are directories

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 are
both files

Before the fault occurred I had made no changes (except apt update
/upgrade).

After the fault, I tried changing the root directory (/lib /bin) files
to sym links but got bored by the time I had done thirty different files.

Bad idea anyway. It's not about symlinking individual files. Everything
is moved to the corresponding subdirectories in /usr and the directories
in the root are replaced by symlinks. There are only six of those on my
system (also debian testing).

I undid the above changes, and the system works o.k., just not upgradeable.

Right. I still don't get how that libc.so.6 file could have ended up in
two places (earlier failed usrmerge? another script? manually after
all?), but in my view there are only two possible ways to fix this: the
clean one (reinstalling) and the messy one (completing the usrmerge
manually).
Be aware that the latter comes with no guarantees whatsoever and will
probably fail massively if you didn't fully restore the above changes
(i.e. left a symlink somewhere).

If you want to go the messy route, I'll need to check a couple of things
first. Can't do that until later today.

Regards,
Frank