Re: usrmerge

On 01/10/2022 15:07, billium wrote:
Thanks for your time Greg

This occurred from updates only no installs for a while.

I did try moving some of the files and sym linking, then rebooting to check, all worked (inc libc) but got bored doing it after about 30 times.  I also tried sym linking /usr/bin and /usr/lib etc but it locked up then :).

This system is old now repeatedly doing upgrade, dist-upgrade and full-upgrade through the years.  So maybe its time is done ! :(  One mistake, through laziness, I never update the config files, so maybe a re-install (Sounds Windows-ish) may help.

This is the original text:
aurora:~# apt autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 604 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up usrmerge (31) ...

FATAL ERROR:
Both /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 exist.

You can try correcting the errors reported and running again
/usr/lib/usrmerge/convert-usrmerge until it will complete without errors.
Do not install or update other Debian packages until the program
has been run successfully.

E: usrmerge failed.
dpkg: error processing package usrmerge (--configure):
 installed usrmerge package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
  usrmerge

also:
aurora:~# apt install usr-is-merged
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
   usr-is-merged
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 604 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 4,920 B of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 usr-is-merged all 31 [4,920 B]
Fetched 4,920 B in 0s (35.6 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package usr-is-merged.
(Reading database ... 493237 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../usr-is-merged_31_all.deb ...

*
* The usr-is-merged package cannot be installed because this system does
* not have a merged /usr.
*
* Please install the usrmerge package to convert this system to merged-/usr.
*
* For more information please read https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge.
*

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/usr-is-merged_31_all.deb (--unpack):  new usr-is-merged package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
  /var/cache/apt/archives/usr-is-merged_31_all.deb

Billy