Re: OT, Recommendation for low cost laptop

On 7/18/22, James H. H. Lampert <jamesl@touchtonecorp.com> wrote:
>>> Another place to look is your local laptop store.  My current laptop,
>>> as well as its predecessor, are refurbished ThinkPads I bought there
>>> for about $300.  They run Linux just fine.
>
> "Local laptop store?"
>
> Not quite sure I've heard of such a thing, at least not recently. My
> Chromebook came from BestBuy.

Maybe it's a small town thing. I actually worked in one and bought
from another in my relatively small county. Both were family owned. I
didn't receive money for working but instead paid off a portion of a
P/C I bought from them ~15 years ago.

There weren't any tech-centric big box stores in any counties nearby
at the time. These days the Internet's ever increasing access has
probably closed more than a few of those quaint little businesses that
are/were competitively priced in spite of their size.

Local Yellow Pages, if you can even find those for free these days,
were where I first learned of the businesses I used.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *