Re: Debian 9 cron = sounds are ok : Debian 11 cron no sound [Solved]

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022, 16 Jul 2022, Lee wrote:
Nope.  Audio has always just worked; I never had to do anything
special or extra to get it working

Following https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Examples ,
I installed file ~/.config/pulse/default.pa

   .include /etc/pulse/default.pa
   set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

rebooted the machine and it works correctly! I hear historic dog Biff still barking.

As Lee reported, it just worked, with no need to specify XDG_RUNTIME_DIR. I suspect that my ~/.config/pulse/default.pa is not really needed, but by installing it I cleaned up the default pulse mess left over by previous operating system installations (My user space ~rprice has been running since Sept 1994).

To my surprise, when cron calls the Bash script bark.sh, command "pactl list short sinks" reports

  Connection failure: Connection refused

and command "pacmd list-sinks" also reports:

  No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

but if Biff barks, I won't worry.   Roger