Re: Debian 9 cron = sounds are ok : Debian 11 cron no sound

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022, Lee wrote:

I don't have play, so I tried aplay .. and it works, even if I'm
logged out, even if someone else is logged in.

## run the script every minute

$ crontab -l | tail -3
# m h  dom mon dow   command
 * *   *   *   *    /home/lee/bin/neener.sh

## which plays a .wav and an .au file

$ cat ~/bin/neener.sh
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/aplay -q $HOME/Sounds/Old/NEENER.WAV
sleep 0.25
/usr/bin/aplay -q $HOME/Sounds/SunOS/busy.au

I get the following error message from aplay:

 ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1075:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
 aplay: main:830: audio open error: Device or resource busy

and a different message from play:

 ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1075:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
 /usr/bin/play FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

I'm wondering what causes this. Do you have any specific environment variable set which defines a default audio device?

Roger